Sunday 28 August 2016

Transformation!


Do you remember this cushion that I sewed on the very first day of the school holidays?


Oxford cushion (5)


I was pleased to learn a new technique with the Oxford cushion, but was a bit 'meh!' about it because it looked so dull. The cushion has been sat waiting patiently in my craft room for a spot of beautifying. I thought long and hard about how I was going to decorate it because the cushion cover was already made up. Embellishments would usually be added before joining. I decided to use free motion stitching to sew on some colourful circles, so rummaged through my fabric scraps to find some pretty pieces.


IMG_3603


I arranged them in a 3 by 3 grid on the cushion and when I was happy, ironed them in place (they are attached with Bondaweb.) Then came the jiggery-pokery bit - stretching the cushion front out in an embroidery hoop so that each circle could be stitched on without also stitching through the back of the cushion too! It was a bit of a pig to do and I did wonder at one point whether I'd chosen the most sensible option, but kept at it!


IMG_3605

IMG_3604


A good press with the steam iron got rid of all the creases from the embroidery hoop and I have to say that I am really happy with how it turned out! 


IMG_3610

IMG_3611


A pretty satisfactory transformation don't you reckon? From this ...


IMG_3601


... to this in less than two hours!


IMG_3608


Amazingly Florence has yet to sniff this one out, but that's because her blanket detection radar has been activated (just a swatch, but she's determined to sit on that!) and I'm certain that it's only a matter of time before she tests it for squishability! In the meantime, it's found a new home on a chair in our bedroom. Even I am admitting defeat in squeezing any more cushions onto the sofas!!


Oxford cushion gets a new home (1)


Don't forget you still have time to enter my giveaway to win some yarn vouchers! xxx

6 comments:

Jane Winter said...

What a transformation; your cusion looks so much better for a bit of colour. I am sure that it won't be long before Flo finds it!

Jane

VeggieMummy said...

That's just gorgeous and such a transformation. There's always room for another cushion! xx

PixieFoxtrot said...

Beautiful! What an amazing difference.

Claire said...

It does look fantastic, but you definitely chose the hard way to do it :)

Lynne said...

This is brilliant! Yeah, trying not to get fabric caught in underneath is nover fun.

snoopydogknits said...

This is just perfect! I love it! xx