Tuesday 12 April 2011

A new spinner is born!

Hello again. Thanks for calling in. I've had a lovely day today with my great knitting pal, Snoopydog. We caught up with each other's news, admired our somewhat impressive collection of knitting bags from Three Bags Full (I blame Anne Hanson for that!!!), swapped mini skeins of sock yarn for our sock yarn blankies, drank tea, ate Danish pastries, planned our summer visit to KnitNation and, oh yes .......... Snoopydog learned the basics of spinning! I'd laid out a timeline of my handspun, starting off with the very first yarn I spun, all underspun, overspun, thick and thin, and ending up with my most recent yarn. It's amazing to see the progress I've made. Anyway, I showed Snoops how to draft the fibre, gave her some BFL, and off she went!

snoopydog learns to spin (1)


Fairly quickly, she'd produced two bobbins of yarn ....


snoopydog learns to spin (3)


....that she then plied together to produce her first ever skein of handspun yarn! Tah dah!!


snoopydog learns to spin (6)


I can see a new, addictive hobby developing here! Another stash for Snoops to acquire! It was great fun and I look forward to days spent spinning together!


I received another squishy parcel too - this time from Rosie's Moments. The parcel arrived beautifully wrapped, it was just like opening a present!


oops another squishy parcel (2)


As well as the collection of mini skeins for my sock yarn blankie, I bought two braids of BFL, dyed with natural dyes. I loved the colour combinations she used, and want to spin it up to knit myself a Citron shawl. Don't you just love these colours?


oops another squishy parcel (4)


Rosie included a lovely sheep button in the parcel, what a nice touch!


oops another squishy parcel (1)


I shall definitely be popping back to her Etsy shop again!


Before I go, I must just tell you about a wonderful giveaway on my Ravelry friend, Melissa's blog. If you make a donation to help fight cancer, you'll be entered into a draw to win not one, not two, but three skeins of Malabrigo yarn! How fantastic is that? Not only are you doing something worthwhile, but you might win some yarn too! See you soon! xxx

7 comments:

faith76 said...

Like the sheep button x Spinning looks a lot of fun.

Unknown said...

What?! Another fiber lover AND cancer fighter? Too cool! Thanks for the link to her blog (giveaway or not!)

Also, I wish I had a local friend who knew how to spin. Then again, I probably don't need another hobby.

snoopydogknits said...

Thanks for a fab day! We could spend a whole week catching up and still not 'say it all'! ;-) Mr Snoops was most impressed! xxRos

Unknown said...

I have not spun since I was a child, I went to a rural school and all of the girls got taught to spin. We were taught to spin and then dye the wool and then knit the finished product. Its on my list of things to do when I retire, to start spinning again.

melissa said...

yay for snoops! and yay for you too for being the instructor!

that sheep button is too adorable, and thank you thank you for the shout out about the cancer hating - i so appreciate your support!

Jennyff said...

I had two full days at spinning class and didn't even get round to plying the yarn together (if that's the correct expression) to make usable wool. If only I lived next door to you I'd be as accomplished as Snoops. Nice parcel.

Stadtwaldvogel said...

How nice to know you found a new spinning pal! Enjoy your free time!
Yours, Julia